Thurs: Open until 6pm

12 DePiero Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

Thurs: Open until 6pm



Construction Officer/Zoning Officer/Facilities Manager

Property Maintenance 

Building Inspector

Construction Technical Assistant

Construction Technical Assistant

  • Phone - 201-391-5732 x 222

 Council Liaison

  • Annmarie Russo-Vogelsang

Office Hours:




Building & Construction Information

Selling Your Home?

If you are selling or renting your house, condominium, or townhouse it is important that the owner obtain a New Tenant/Resale Certificate and a smoke detector / carbon monoxide certificate as required by New Jersey State Law.

  • In an effort to avoid any inconvenience and possible delay of a scheduled house closing or renter possession, the following information is provided, as a guide only, to address some of the requirements necessary to have a New Tenant/Resale Certificate issued.
  • If there has been any construction, electrical or plumbing work done, the owner must ensure that all the permit inspections are conducted and the permits are closed.
  • If there were any outstanding Zoning or Property maintenance violations that were issued, they would be required to be abated.
  • If the house has a sump pump, it cannot be connected to the sanitary sewer. The sump pump is to be directed outside in a manner that does not create a problem with the contiguous properties.
  • A survey of the property is necessary.
  • The "use" of the house will be verified concerning the number of dwelling units (one family, two family, etc.).

Before beginning any work, please contact the Construction Office to see if a permit is required. Another important fact homeowners are unaware of is that when a permit is obtained for work being done, the homeowner is the owner of that permit and they MUST get the proper inspections pertaining to the work. When the work is completed, a final inspection must be done. New Jersey State Law, 13:45A-16.2 states, Final Inspections Required before final payment is made to Contractors.

If you have any questions regarding whether a permit is required or not, please give us a call at 201-391-5732.

Did You Know?

It is required that every home in the Borough has a house number on it. The number should be at least 3 x 6 inches in size; this is in the interest of public safety and for the homeowner's benefit.

Doing Some Fixing Up?  

Many homeowners are unaware that permits are required for the following:

  • Accessory Structures (Sheds)
  • Additions
  • Air Conditioning (New & Replacement)
  • All Interior Renovations
  • Basement Renovations
  • Bathroom Renovations
  • Chimney Liner
  • Decks (New & Replacement)
  • Doors / Windows
  • Driveways (New & Replacements)
  • Electrical Upgrades
  • Fences (New & Replacement)
  • Fireplace – Wood-burning and Gas
  • Furnace Conversions
  • Furnaces (New & Replacement)
  • Gas Log Set for Fireplace
  • Generator Installations
  • Heating Systems (New & Replacements)
  • Kitchen Renovations
  • Outdoor Kitchens
  • Paver Patios
  • Pergolas
  • Pods / Dumpsters
  • Pools (Above and In-ground)
  • Retaining Walls - All Heights
  • Sheds – All Sizes
  • Site Work (Soil Movement, Landscaping, Patios, Fire Pits, etc)
  • Spas / Hot Tub
  • Sprinklers (Lawn)
  • Soil movement – All Amounts
  • Solar Panels
  • Tree Removal – All Sizes of Trees
  • Underground Storage Tank (Abandonment / Removal or Installation)
  • Water Heaters (New & Replacement)

If you have any questions regarding whether a permit is required or not, please give us a call at 201- 391-5732.

Chris Gruber
Phone - 201-391-5732  x 223

Monday - Friday
9:00am - 1:00pm