Curbside Trash & Recycling
Curbside Trash and Recycling Collection Schedule
Holiday Trash and Recycling Schedule: Refer to Borough Calendar
Bulky household items: Collected by appointment only. Call Westphal Waste Services at (201) 784-2222 to make a appointment.
Yard Waste Collection: Entire town is collected on Friday from April to mid-October. Branches, brush and twigs are to be bundled and tied or placed in containers. Cut to 4 feet in length, and not to exceed 4 inches in diameter.
Grass Clippings: Collected on Friday from April to mid-October. Place clippings in re-usable container.
Leaf Collection: Entire town is collected on Friday from mid-October to mid/late December. Place leaves in compostable paper bags at curbside. Placing leaf piles at curbside is prohibited.
- Comingled - Plastic items with triangle symbol # 1 - 7. Comingled items should be rinsed & free of food before placing in a reusable container. Clear & colored glass jars and bottles, all aluminum, steel, and tin cans (including steel aerosol cans, aluminum foil and trays). Includes newspapers, magazines, junk mail, telephone books, paperback books, office paper, paper shopping bags, packaging, cardboard, and corrugated cardboard. Newspapers should be tied & boxes crushed. DO NOT RECYCLE cardboard beverage containers (milk cartons, juice boxes, etc.).
Common Pickup Problems
Many Residents have experienced some problems regarding yard waste collections. In some instances, the problem was as simple as a missed pickup. However, there are other instances in which the yard waste was not collected, the following list of DOS and DON'TS will help eliminate some of the collection problems.
- Grass collection, grass must be placed in reusable containers (garbage cans) the total weight should NOT EXCEED 50 POUNDS please be considerate of the garbage man.
- None of the large green landscaper pails are to be used for yard waste pickup.
- Branches and sticks must be tied in bundles.
- Please refrain from using paper leaf bags they are meant to be used during leaf season.
- Large amounts of yard waste may not be picked up on one collection day.
- Residents may NOT bring logs and stumps to the recycling center. Logs and large branches will NOT be picked up curbside.
- Do NOT put yard waste in plastic bags.
- Please be sure to follow these guidelines to help you with your yard waste collection.
- The following electronic equipment is NOT picked up at curbside and are accepted at the Montvale Recycling Center: televisions, stereos, cell phones, computers, answering machines, printers, DVD players, VCR’s, fax machines, Laptops, I-Pads, I-Pods.